Problems With Your Dentist | MouthHealthy - Oral Health Information from the ADA

Problems With Your Dentist

How do I resolve disputes or complaints I have with my dentist?

Even in the best dentist-patient relationship, a problem may occur. First, discuss any concerns you have with your dentist. Many times this will help clear up the matter. If further assistance is required, patients have other options:

  1. Contact your state dental society to ask if they have a process called peer review. 
  2. Contact your state dental board. 

Some dental societies have established a dispute resolution system called peer review to help resolve the occasional disagreement about dental treatment. Peer review provides an impartial and easily accessible means for resolving misunderstandings regarding the appropriateness or quality of care and, in certain instances, about the fees charged for dental treatment. A peer review committee will attempt to mediate the problem. They may meet to discuss the case and may examine clinical records, talk to the dentist and patient and, when indicated, arrange for a clinical examination.